As a developmental recreational league, OVSL is committed to maintain a positive environment for players, coaches and referees to improve.
- No score is kept at any age group
- Referees do not keep score and shouldn’t provide score updates to coaches, players or spectators
- It is NOT the referee’s job to enforce this policy—if players keep score themselves, that’s okay
- Substitutions are allowed at any stoppage by either team, but only if the substitutes were present at the center line prior to the stoppage and the referee gives permission
- Stop play for any injury concern and restart with a drop-ball for the possessing team
- Red and Yellow cards typically aren’t necessary for younger players
- If a U8 or U10 player is deserving of a YC, stop play and ask that player’s coach to sub the player off and address the infraction
- Card U12 and U15 players as the laws dictate, but be sure to explain the caution to the player and the coach
- DOGSO violations should be penalized with a YC instead of RC because we don’t keep score. It’s more important that the players play the game than it is to punish a denial of a goal.
- DOGSO violations that include serious foul play, excessive force or violent conduct should still be shown a RC
Law Adjustments Overview:
|Ref Crew||1 Center||1 Center, 2 Assistants||1 Center, 2 Assistants||1 Center, 2 Assistants|
|Periods||4 x 10min||2 x 25min||2 x 30min||2 x 35min|
|Breaks||2 minutes||5 minutes||5 minutes||5-10 minutes|
|Ball||Size 3||Size 4||Size 4||Size 5|
|Offsides||not enforced||enforced, IDFK||enforced, IDFK||enforced, IDFK|
|Pass-back to Keeper||not enforced||enforced, IDFK||enforced, IDFK||enforced, IDFK|
|Heading||disallowed, IDFK||disallowed, IDFK||disallowed, IDFK||allowed|
|Illegal Throw-ins||allow “unlimited” retries||one retry allowed||no retries||no retries|
|Build-out Line*||for goal-kicks only||for goal-kicks only||not observed||not observed|
- The U8 field combines the Goal Area and the Penalty Area
- All free kicks are taken indirect (IDFK)
- Arrive on field 15 minutes before game-start time
- Check player equipment
- No dangerous cleats (football, baseball cleats have studs on the toe, this is not allowed at any age group)
- No jewelry (this includes watches, necklaces and earrings— earrings must be removed, not taped over)
- Shin guards must be covered by socks
- Jackets must be worn under jerseys and hoods must be tucked in
- Select a ball with proper inflation
- OVSL provides a game ball for the younger age groups. Some coaches prefer under-inflated soccer balls—this goes against the Laws of the Game. There is a pump in the storage building, if necessary.
- If one team is short players, it is within OVSL policy for them to borrow any player registered in the same OVSL age group, but only if the opposing coach approves.
- It is also okay to play the game with fewer players total (ex, 8v8 instead of 9v9) as long as both coaches agree.